Thursday, March 26, 2009

Life with Second Graders

I think I mentioned that I've been doing my field experience the last 2 weeks (last day is tomorrow!) and it certainly has been interesting! There are a few kids in my class that are a tad rambunctious and supplement discussions with inappropriate remarks. Today my cooperating teacher was reading a story and the main character's name was BJ. One little boy was laughing and laughing and shouting "HIS NAME IS BJ!"..later I discovered he watches South Park so I'm assuming that's where he gets his "humor". I'm not sure if he knew what he was laughing at, but just the fact that he knew BJ was related with something to be laughed at was sad to me. Second grade people! Kids are growing up too fast these days!

In another scenario..we were reading some fairy tales..I picked up this book..


One little boy responds: "I don't want to read that, they are nekkid!" Other children laugh so he starts shouting "NEKKID! NEKKID! NEKKID". He usually says things for attention so I was just going to ignore it, but as I looked at the cover again I noticed that they really do look naked/are naked! I tried to convince him that they weren't naked, maybe just wearing skin colored bodysuits, but I couldn't even convince myself and I starting laughing. I know how inappropriate that sounds, but I couldn't help myself..because 1. he was saying nekkid (I mean what second grader knows what that is) and 2. how did I not notice this before?! My laughter only spurred him on more so I had to put my serious face on, and walk away (although I was still cracking up in my head..I just couldn't believe I didn't see the naked elves before!).

5 comments:

A Southern Magnolia said...

I taught second grade last year and now fifth grade. I am still amazed at the things that students say (especially this year)! Like you, I have laughed out loud in class right along with them. Ahh, the joys of teaching!

Nicole Marie said...

hahaha. i did my early field experience in 1st, 2nd and 4th grades and how my the stories! kids say the darnedest things! every day i would call my friends to tell them the hilarious things kids said/ did!

Anonymous said...

:)

Allison said...

I did my field experience with second graders last year...seriously, the things that come out of their mouths! One kid actually told someone "Get off my nuts" and I thought I was going to die.
That is too funny about the book - seriously when I'm a teacher I don't know how I'm going to keep up with a straight face!

Anonymous said...

what is up with that!!! Why are they naked? Why is that on a children's book? This is not a brave new world people!!