Wednesday, January 18, 2012

DIY Spray Painted Lamp Shade

I scored a pair of lamps for my bedroom for ten dollars each. The shades weren't my favorite and my original plan was to replace them. Before investing in new lampshades I figured I may as well try something first. After all, what did I have to lose? I turned to every diy'ers best friend, spray paint. Andy sprayed a few coats on for me and it was like a brand new lamp. The lamp still gives off tons of light, and I couldn't have been happier to not have to buy new lamp shades!


Some tips:

1. Use a light hand. More thin coats are better than one heavy, drippy coat.
2. Tape off the inside to shield from overspray. 
3. Allow it to dry for a long period of time. You don't want those fumes inside.

10 comments:

Claire Kiefer said...

This makes me realize that I don't use spray paint nearly enough. :) What an easy way to make something new again. Gotta keep this one in mind!

July said...

Wow I didn't even think about using spray paint on fabric like that! I love it!!

Holly said...

i love that you can still see the pattern. love it more in blue!

Stephanie said...

Wow that is so stunning! Love that you could keep the print, but toned it down!

L A C E Y said...

what a difference! those look great. i love how you can still see the pattern through the paint. :)

Morgan said...

Love it! Jealous of your finds! I never find such great items for cheap.

Natalie said...

The transformation is amazing! Love the color you chose.

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

Great job! The way the old pattern pops through make the fabric look super expensive. I love the result :)

Jessica Ruud said...

LOVING this lamp shade. It definitely gives a whole new look.

Happy Friday! Love the blog :)

Kate said...

This is so pretty! What a great idea! I am so glad I found your blog!
☼Kate
To The Square Inch